Thursday, August 3, 2017

Can't give it up...

My first book was, I believe, my best because it concerned my alter ego, the girl I would like to have been. My school life from Kindergarten to high school was fraught with doubts about my worth. I wanted to be 'popular' but I didn't know how. I wanted boys to like me but I wasn't pretty enough. I wanted girls to like me but who would want to be my friend? Besides I didn't dress like a popular girl would and my hair was always at the mercy of my mother's 'artistic' whims.
Karin had always been popular. She had almond eyes, luscious lips, a small waist, a full chest, had long, silky brown hair and, to put a cherry on top, was well dressed. None of those attributes could have ever been used in describing me.
And if that wasn't enough, in high school I began to show signs of something strange. At first I couldn't put on makeup in the morning; as I applied my eyeliner my right hand would jerk across my face. Then once or twice a day my right knee would give out. My high school friends would laugh at me. Then my tongue got into the mix. I stopped contributing in class; I was afraid my words would become garbled. Then my whole body got into it. I flinched so many times other students decided I had bedbugs (wasn't that wonderful for my self-esteem?). Then at the beginning of my senior year I had a grand mal seizure in the mud during field hockey practice. Neither other students, nor my physical education teacher, nor me or my parents knew what I had. It took a brain wave test to tell the doctor what I had.
Oh gosh, I had epilepsy!
So as I wrote Home Where I Belong I determined that Karin wouldn't have any of those problems. She was a healthy 19-year-old whose only problem was trying to find the one man who would take her away on a white horse and make her life worth living.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ms. Lori,

    Hope all is well with you across the miles. I'm not sure whether or not you are the same Lori Buckman who wrote the wonderful story "Perspective," from an old book published by the Chicken Soup for the Soul series and about a homeless woman named Dyan. The story, however, impressed my heart in a very positive way. It's better to close count while naming our blessings than to lose our blessings while counting our troubles.

    Best wishes,
    Hamza
    Saudi Arabia

    ReplyDelete